Father's Day Card

This was an attempt to re-create a card that is very popular for Father's Day. All the other cards I looked at were made with a printed paper that looked like denim or the used plain cardstock and used a denim bacground stamp and blue ink to get the look and texture. Here lies the challenge, I had no denim printed paper or a denim background stamp, so how was I going to do this?
I picked a piece of light grey co'ordination paper and inked it with Broken China, Faded Jeans, and a little Black Soot all from the Distress line from Tim Holtz.
Next I wet the paper and crumpled it up, carefully unfolded it and dried it with the heat tool. To give it some highlights I then sanded the paper to reveal the lighter colour underneath.
I then overlapped two pieces of the paper and sewed the seams. If you don't have a sewin machine don't worry just get out your paper piecer and start spacing the stitches evenly.
I took a copic marker ( B45 and W5 ) and added a shadow to the right hand side of the stiching. the french seam was a little too light so I gave it a little shadow inbetween the natural highlights that occured from the sanding.
Printed the verse out on cardstock using the computer and inked it with walnut to distress it.
I added the red tag to give it a little fun just like the original "501's"
The "jeans" are a very faded and just out of the wash look.
I hope you try this technique!
Kim

1 comments:

Shirl July 16, 2010 at 10:15 AM  

I like this jeans technique!!! I'm definitely stealing this idea the next time I'm making a masculine card. Thank you soo much for sharing! :))

Post a Comment